Planning and Inspections
Town of Kill Devil Hills
PO Box 1719
102 Town Hall Drive
Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948
Building Inspector, Matt Lowcher
Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m.
When is a building permit needed?
- all new construction, additions and remodel/repair jobs require a permit
- window replacements
- any plumbing, electrical, mechanical work regardless of cost
- fences do require a permit
- all storage sheds and accessory structures
General Information needed to obtain a permit
- a blue line survey of property prepared by a North Carolina land surveyor
- two sets of building plans
- Dare County Health Department permit or approval
- any other state or federal permits including CAMA
Owner Authorization Form - click here. Projects with total construction cost of $30,000 or less do not require a licensed general contractor. This form acknowledges owner responsibility for these types of projects and establishes the requirement for a Certificate of Occupancy/Completion for any such project.
Below is a link to obtain a Residential Building Permit Application. This application and checklist were developed to assist owners and contractors provide required information to the Building Inspectors necessary for a residential building permit. Copies are also available at the Planning Department.
Residential Building Permit Application